Shoup
    
stumbleupon toolbar
blogin!  name: pass:
   gmail!  name: pass:
Quote of the Week:

"An industrial capitalist society that does not recognize ecological limits but only perpetual economic expansion and has the profit motive as driver, will eventually consume and destroy itself."

"But we will all be taken down with it."

David Orton

Shoup News

Shoup Foas:
Friendly Links:
• new world blog
• the note
• the onion
• artsjournal
• yr congress
• morning news
• wooster
• DCBCA
• east hall
• jeremy b
• imdb
• all music guide
• jen y
• hey cd reviews
• sara
• lanny
• dan h
• ketchup
• d-m 
• kenwood
• eicher
• debby s. 
• t-mo
• evil tim s.
• tristan k
• daviduh
• lando! 
• maria
• breakfast burritos
• trippity trip trip
• dino comics
• phil
• teresa 
• pitchfork media
• mksm
• trilidun
• oedipus
• Light St Cycles

Shoup Pics:
shoup ♥ flickr
Shoup Shop:
Shoup Radio
Save the Internet!
Save the Internet: Click here
News Links:
Pictures:
• kate
• alisa joy
• rob
• david
• megly
• rossbay
• kate II
• jessebm
• katieco
• lando
• philip
• sasha
• joel f.
• darla/steve
• tim naf
• erini
• andrea
• matt m.
• guen
• montreal

Aren't a member of this blog, but have something to say? That's OK! Use username "shoupguest" with password "shoupguest".*

Question of the Week:

Locations of visitors to this page
Shoup Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Friday, October 29, 2004
a great big blog
linkText
Helloooo everyone!! Today is a very monumentous day--I have joined the shoup house blog!! do do dooo! ok ok, I will get over myself. Anyway, first I want to express my general excitement that IT IS ALMOST HALLOWEEN!!! The very bestest of all holidays celebrated in this great big weiner country. A day of transformation, suger highs, fake eyelashes, glitter, hedonism, and magic. It doesn't get much better. Ok also, today is going to be critical mass!! yay!! Everyone will be in costume and we will be riding by hotel workers on strike, to express our solidarity, which makes me happy. My costume is super lame, I am a nija pirate, which means I will be wearing an eyepatch and a karate uniform. I also am obsessed with buying hot pink fake eyelashes, although I realize that this will only increase confusion over my costume, but shmehh.
OK on a diffferent note, I was reading some of weiss's posts and started thinking about radical social change. When thinking about past situations when the status quo was uprooted and new social systems implemented (i'm thinking Bulshevism, Paris Commune, Spanish revolution) it seems as if violence is inevitable. The writings of many intellectuals back this up-- most say that for the revolution to be succcessful, while violence cannot be the main the main proponent of the change, it is also inevitable. This seems to me slightly bleak. Now, looking at history, there is always Ghandi, and India's "non-violent" break from the British empire that defies the violence criteria.n Martin Luther King also was a huge advocate of nonviolent change. However, this country's civil rights movement was far from a nonviolent one (as weiss's last post touches on). Please Goshen, help me out. What other examples are there of large social upheaval achieved through non-violent movements?

All content ©2009 Shoup Productions [get your shoup on].

Shoup House Group Map


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Popdex Citations


Application/Comments

name

email

Please state your business:

I am applying for membership
I am applying for Admin status
I need a question answered
I would like to leave a comment

Comments: