Shoup
    
stumbleupon toolbar
blogin!  name: pass:
   gmail!  name: pass:
Quote of the Week:

"An industrial capitalist society that does not recognize ecological limits but only perpetual economic expansion and has the profit motive as driver, will eventually consume and destroy itself."

"But we will all be taken down with it."

David Orton

Shoup News

Shoup Foas:
Friendly Links:
• new world blog
• the note
• the onion
• artsjournal
• yr congress
• morning news
• wooster
• DCBCA
• east hall
• jeremy b
• imdb
• all music guide
• jen y
• hey cd reviews
• sara
• lanny
• dan h
• ketchup
• d-m 
• kenwood
• eicher
• debby s. 
• t-mo
• evil tim s.
• tristan k
• daviduh
• lando! 
• maria
• breakfast burritos
• trippity trip trip
• dino comics
• phil
• teresa 
• pitchfork media
• mksm
• trilidun
• oedipus
• Light St Cycles

Shoup Pics:
shoup ♥ flickr
Shoup Shop:
Shoup Radio
Save the Internet!
Save the Internet: Click here
News Links:
Pictures:
• kate
• alisa joy
• rob
• david
• megly
• rossbay
• kate II
• jessebm
• katieco
• lando
• philip
• sasha
• joel f.
• darla/steve
• tim naf
• erini
• andrea
• matt m.
• guen
• montreal

Aren't a member of this blog, but have something to say? That's OK! Use username "shoupguest" with password "shoupguest".*

Question of the Week:

Locations of visitors to this page
Shoup Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Click for a transcript of the relevant Weekend Update sketch.

Studied, then around ten went to Rachel's party. Spent half of the two hours there telling people I was leaving, but kept getting stuck in more and more conversations.

My housemates are big fans of "The Best of Will Ferrell" ever since Vanessa found it in the bargain rack after spending half and hour looking for it in the regular shelves. Anyway, the last sketch in the collection is one where Ferrell plays a state department employee who can't stop shouting because of Van Horton's Syndrome. It's one of the highlights of the film.

As I go to fetch my jacket and scarf I hear a man talking to a woman. He says, "But I think that real change has to come from Bolivia or Honduras. It can't come from Washington." I shake my head at anyone so naive as to be using that line to pick up women. White liberal do-gooder trash.

So I'm smiling in condescension at him as I fetch my jacket and I make eye contact with a different woman. This woman is seated on the couch, wearing a green sweater. She won't break eye contact, so I feel like I have to talk to her. I explain to her what the stupid man said and why it makes me smile. The green sweater woman nods and smiles eagerly. Then she says, "YOU HAVE TO EXCUSE ME. I CAN'T MODULATE THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE."

We chat briefly about Venezuela, Chavez, liberal do-gooders, and an argument I got in last night related to all of that. I don't feel bad about excusing myself quickly; I really was leaving, had put on my jacket, and would have headed out the door shortly regardless of which stranger struck up a conversation. I couldn't resist telling my housemates the story for laughs when I got home, though, and for that I felt bad.

All content ©2009 Shoup Productions [get your shoup on].

Shoup House Group Map


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Popdex Citations


Application/Comments

name

email

Please state your business:

I am applying for membership
I am applying for Admin status
I need a question answered
I would like to leave a comment

Comments: