Shoup
    
stumbleupon toolbar
blogin!  name: pass:
   gmail!  name: pass:
Quote of the Week:

"An industrial capitalist society that does not recognize ecological limits but only perpetual economic expansion and has the profit motive as driver, will eventually consume and destroy itself."

"But we will all be taken down with it."

David Orton

Shoup News

Shoup Foas:
Friendly Links:
• new world blog
• the note
• the onion
• artsjournal
• yr congress
• morning news
• wooster
• DCBCA
• east hall
• jeremy b
• imdb
• all music guide
• jen y
• hey cd reviews
• sara
• lanny
• dan h
• ketchup
• d-m 
• kenwood
• eicher
• debby s. 
• t-mo
• evil tim s.
• tristan k
• daviduh
• lando! 
• maria
• breakfast burritos
• trippity trip trip
• dino comics
• phil
• teresa 
• pitchfork media
• mksm
• trilidun
• oedipus
• Light St Cycles

Shoup Pics:
shoup ♥ flickr
Shoup Shop:
Shoup Radio
Save the Internet!
Save the Internet: Click here
News Links:
Pictures:
• kate
• alisa joy
• rob
• david
• megly
• rossbay
• kate II
• jessebm
• katieco
• lando
• philip
• sasha
• joel f.
• darla/steve
• tim naf
• erini
• andrea
• matt m.
• guen
• montreal

Aren't a member of this blog, but have something to say? That's OK! Use username "shoupguest" with password "shoupguest".*

Question of the Week:

Locations of visitors to this page
Shoup Archives:

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

So yesterday we had a police officer come to Crim Pro, Brett Parsons from the Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit. He was amusing and told some good jokes. His biggest mistake was telling too many jokes because once you try to fit in that much humor some of it is bound to be bad. His presentation would have been slightly improved had he left out the bottom half of the jokes, but all in all I was impressed. His candor was refreshing. It's nice to know that, as I suspected, the large majority of the MPD would not be able to catch up with me in a foot race. Some people asked questions. Here is mine:

Often in trials where questions of criminal procedure arise, the resolution of a issue depends on conflicting testimony, a "he-said she-said" scenario. For example, an officer might claim that a defendant gave consent for a search of her hotel room, while the defendant insists that she did not. In situations like this, there are four possibilities:

  1. The defendant is lying and the officer is telling the truth.
  2. The officer is lying and the defendant is telling the truth.
  3. Both of them are lying. For example, the actual situation might have been ambiguous and both are describing it as though it were clearly in their favor.
  4. Neither is lying. That is, both have different recollections about the situation.
So I asked Officer Parsons what the proportion of situations is between these four options. He told me that obviously it is in defendants' interests to lie when they are guilty. He said that he has never known an officer to lie, such as by saying the car was red when it was really blue, but that often officers will tell less than whole truth or tell the truth slant.

I would say three things. First, I agree that is that defendants probably lie regularly. Second, if, in a trial, you are telling a story in a way that withholds information that the jury would want to know, then that's the same as lying. But third and most interestingly, I think Officer Parsons is underestimating the weakness of memory. I think that quite frequently the fourth situation crops up. Both the officer and the defendant believe that what they are saying is true because their memory of the event has shifted to a way that favors their case.

After class I saw Kate! She had come by to pick up some papers from the school library and called me. And then on my way to spend $26 on a semester-long motorcycle outdoor parking pass I got a call letting me know I'd gotten into clinic. And then when I got home I found $15! It was in an card that my grandmother had sent me for Easter.

All content ©2009 Shoup Productions [get your shoup on].

Shoup House Group Map


referer referrer referers referrers http_referer
Popdex Citations


Application/Comments

name

email

Please state your business:

I am applying for membership
I am applying for Admin status
I need a question answered
I would like to leave a comment

Comments: